-
September 16th, 2001, 11:17 AM
#1
Scottness
Guest
I'm going to start transferring the rank telecine for In My Image so haven't seen the flickering the gut at the lab was talking about - but I've been musing over possible causes - apparently it's just a vertical misalignment with no blurring, and most of it is on the first 40 odd rolls we shot which I think is in the period when the lead for the crystal synch unit was kept plugged into the unit (and hence the battery had been slowly draining without us realising it) -- so I wonder if that could have been the cause - with weird signals being sent fron the unit as the battery was dieing - perhaps the film was sped up or forced to slow down alot and because of momentum in the cartridge it's actual speed didn't line up with the corresponding changes in shutter speed - and hence the frames slightly in or out of position --- this would seem to fit in with something else the technician said - that on the rolls the flickering was worse at the start and then got better as the roll continued --- the way the synch unit works is a feedback loop which over or under adjusts as necessary until the correct speed is reached - so again conflicting signals is possible the timeing on the shutter would change as set by the unit but the film would be slightly out because of the effects of accumulated momentum ----- anyone who knows much about how these cartridges are made I would appreciate your comments (eg Martin Baumgarten et al!)
The other theory is just a misalignment with the cartridge - there's a little pin inside which was sticking - this is the pin on the inside wall of the cartridge which activates the footage counter - maybe if it wasn't receding as it should when the cartrridge goes in the thing was misaligned - but the technician didn't say anything about the images being slightly on an angle, which you would expect if the cartridge wasn't going in properly - unless if it was effecting it in some other way
It's a Beaulieu 4008ZMII - with a synch unit from The Film Group -- running at 25fps.
I look forward to your thoughts -- I'm going to dump it all to VHS tomorrow and the next day and then capture a whole lot of stills for the web page - so they should be up in about 3 days or so - all things going well
Scottness
------------------
-
September 16th, 2001, 02:22 PM
#2
MovieStuff
Guest
One of the problems that can cause overall flicker is uneven transport speed. Since super 8 cameras have no sprockets and no formal loop, the advance claw does double duty; advancing the film off the reel and registering it in the gate. On Bolex 16mm spring wound cameras, they will sometimes get flicker at running speed that won't be apparent if using an external motor drive. They virtually always get flicker when doing animation using the spring wound motor. However, if you look at individual frames from flickered film, each frame 'looks' identical to the next. The difference is so minute that you can really on see the flicker at running speed.
However, what I've described would cause an exposure difference across entire frames and not a "bright spot" at the top of bottom of a set of frames. I don't exactly what your frames look like. Perhaps when you get a chance to view your raw footage, I can make an more intelligent guess.
Roger
-
September 16th, 2001, 04:10 PM
#3
Nigel
Guest
I have a 4008ZMII as well. I was shooting outside in a colder climate. It was about 30F, and I got some odd strobing on that roll due to the fact that the motor in my camera was laboring to even turn. Also don't rule out registration problems. Good Luck
------------------
-
September 16th, 2001, 09:30 PM
#4
Matt Pacini
Guest
Maybe related to this, is a question I have:
It just seems like I have heard a lot of weird problems with Beaulieus, that I never hear of other Super 8 cameras having.
In fact, most S8 cameras just seem to not have the same problems that 16 & 35mm cameras do, but the Beaulieus do.
Is it my imagination?
I know they're superb cameras, but anyone have an idea on this?
Are they built that differently?
I know my Nizo 6080 & 6056 are belt driven, which probably completely explains the reputation of them being a little touchy.
That's also what makes them so quiet I would guess.
What other problems have you Beaulieu users had, and what model do you have?
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
September 17th, 2001, 02:49 AM
#5
Nigel
Guest
I have never had any "real" problems with my Beaulieu. It has been in Dust storms in the desert, on the Firelines of forest fires with Ash everywhere. It has gone above and beyond the call of duty--It only got a bit freakish on that cold day. I think that it might have never had the same problem if the crystal wasn't hooked up either.
Beaulieus are French--Just like my Aaton it is sexy and slick and will kick the shit out of most cameras on the block--But also like the Aaton it only likes one driver. It gets very touchey when you don't treat it the way you would treat yourself.
I will buy only Beaulieus just like I won't buy Arris. Arris are tough as nails but they are odd to hold are loud and are not designed around the operator. Beaulieu has the feel that I like. Aaton has the feel I like. The French when they do things right they do things right--when they make trash it is trash.
Nizos and Cannons are great cameras too--Good luck finding a new circut board, or finding other parts. Beaulieu on the other hand makes parts new for the 4008 which is a 30 year old camera.
Good Luck
------------------
-
September 18th, 2001, 02:14 AM
#6
Scottness
Guest
> it is sexy and slick and will kick the shit out of most cameras on the block
I always thought they looked like a ray gun from Buck Rogers!
I've jsut viewed all the telecine footage and there's a bit of flicker, not that much but it will have to be correceted -- more later1
sCOT
------------------
-
September 18th, 2001, 04:29 AM
#7
Nigel
Guest
Ray Guns--ARE SEXY!!
Good Luck
------------------
-
September 18th, 2001, 05:03 AM
#8
Matt Pacini
Guest
Yeah, I don't need a new circuit board for my Nizo, just someone who understands it!
Hey, I got an email from the Widescreen center a few weeks ago, that says Beaulieu is actually making new 4008's.
Pretty cool, eh?
How noisy are those, anyway?
Scott, did you blimp or barney yours?
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
September 18th, 2001, 10:35 AM
#9
Scottness
Guest
We basically pulled a pillow over it - which was a less than ideal solution - the noise was only really a problem indoors too we found
Scottness
------------------
-
September 18th, 2001, 05:25 PM
#10
MrObvious
Guest
To get back tot he original post:
My Beaulieu ZM4 is not crystal synced but my Beaulieu R16 is (by the Film Group)... I had a strobing problem when my batteries were low. It killed my footage. The sync box just can't do its work when either the camera batteries or the sync box batteries are low. Luckily, it was only a test! 
In any case, always be sure you've got brand new/freshly charged batteries and you should be set to go. If not, then there is something else wrong, obviously.
Marc S.
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks